Do you have a tradition of making Christmas Crafts with your kids? I love the build up to Christmas and the countdown to the magic of Christmas day! I thought I’d share some easy Christmas craft ideas for kids to help you get into the festive mood. These Christmas crafts are simple to set-up and will keep the kids entertained whilst you do some last minute shopping, or start wrapping the presents!
1. Pinecone Christmas Tree Decoration
One of my daughters has put together a video demonstration of how to make pinecone Christmas tree decorations on my YouTube channel.
- Thread to attach them to a Christmas tree
- Glitter (optional) – You might want to read this blog post for mess free glitter tips!
- Pom poms (optional)
- Glue (optional)
- Tie the thread onto the pinecone so that it can be attached to the Christmas tree.
- Paint the pinecone.
- Then either dip the pinecone in glitter or sprinkle glitter onto the pinecone (optional) You can use PVA glue if you want to, but if the paint is still wet the glitter should stick on its own.
- Add pom poms (optional). Again, you could use glue if you want to, but they may just stick to the paint.
2. Tissue paper stars
- Polystyrene stars
- Tissue paper
- PVA glue mixed with water
- These polystyrene stars can be bought from Baker Ross (NB: I gain no financial benefit for referring to this company)
- Use a paintbrush to paint a PVA glue/water mix onto the star
- Then add tissue paper and glue in layers, until the star is covered
3. Christmas tree playdough
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- Food colouring (gel food colouring gives the most vibrant colours)
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- Put all of the ingredients into a saucepan and stir over a low heat
- When the mixture starts to form into a dough and pull away from the sides of the saucepan tip it out onto a board
- Then knead the mixture
- Let it cool
- Set out some green playdough with bottle tops, sequins, thread etc and tree cutters
4. Snowman playdough
- Make playdough using the recipe above, but do not add any food colouring
- Set out the white playdough with bottle tops, buttons, eyes, strips of material for scarves etc.
5. Contact paper/self adhesive Christmas tree
- Contact paper/Self adhesive paper
- Coloured paper/foil/fabric/wrapping paper scraps/sweet wrappers
- Masking tape/or a pen
- Mark out a Christmas tree on the shiny side of the self adhesive paper. You can use masking tape or a pen
- Tape the Christmas tree to the wall, with the sticky side facing outwards. Remove the protective paper.
- Give the children the coloured paper/foil/fabric/wrapping paper scraps/sweet wrappers to stick onto the Christmas tree
I hope you enjoyed these Christmas craft ideas for kids. You may also be interested in:
What are your favourite Christmas craft ideas for kids?